Zhiming Zhao is currently a senior researcher in the group of System and Network Engineering (SNE) at University of Amsterdam (UvA). He obtained his bachelor and master degrees in Computer Science from Nanjing Normal University (NJNU) and East China Normal University (ECNU) in 1993 and 1996 in China respectively. He obtained his Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Amsterdam (UvA) in 2004. He has strong research interest in advanced computing and network technologies, time critical and data intensive systems, Cloud computing, scientific workflows and software agents. He coordinates research and development activities in the EU H2020 project SWITCH (Software Workbench for interactive time critical and highly self-adaptive cloud applications), and in the “Data for Science” theme in the EU H2020 environmental science cluster project ENVRIPlus. He also leads the research tasks of research sustainability in the EU H2020 VRE4EIC project, and of semantic linking in the EU FP7 ENVRI project.
- 2010.1~present, Senior researcher, NEtwork aware Workflow QoS Planner (NEWQoSPlanner): including the network QoS in scientific workflows, at the System and Network Engineering group, at UvA (group leader prof. dr. Cees de Laat), in the context of the following projects:
- VRE4EIC, EU H2020, 2015-2018, Task leader of "Exploitation and Sustainability of the Research"
- ENVRI PLUS, EU H2020, 2015-2019, Theme leader of "Data for Science".
- SWITCH, EU H2020, 2015-2018. Scientific coordinator and Principal Investigator.
- ENVRI, EU FP7, 2011-2014, Task leader of linking data to infrastructure. Developed an open information linking model for environmental sciences (OIL-e).
- CineGrid: 2010-2012, developed a Network QoS aware Workflow Planner (NEWQoSPlanner).
- Gigaport: 2012-2013, Software defined networking and workflow planning (demonstrated in Supercomputing 2011, 2012, 2013).
- Geysers, 2011-2012, Semantic based resource description and selection (part of NEWQoSPlanner).
- 2005.3~2009.12, Researcher, the VL-WFBus, a scientific workflow bus for e-Science applications. In the context of Dutch Virtual Laboratory for e-Science (VL-e) project, at UvA.
- 2004.9~2005.3, post doctor researcher, Appling the Ph.D. results in a bio-medical application use case. The European CrossGrid project, at UvA, the Netherlands .
- 1999.9~2004.9, Ph.D. candidate, thesis subject: an agent based architecture for interactive simulation systems, at University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 1998.9~1999.9, Researcher and software architect, a Web based distance education environment, University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- 1997.12~1998.4, Visiting scholar, Virtual reality in multi culture distance training, at University of Twente, the Netherlands.
- 1996.1~1998.9, Lecturer, at East China Normal University, Shanghai, China.
- 1993.9~1996.1, Master, at East China Normal University, Shanghai, China. (Excellent master thesis award, ECNU).
- 1989.9~1993.7, Bachelor, at Nanjing Normal University, Nanjing, China.